“If restaurants can do this, I can do it at home, too”
How to make a Woky-Smoky Crab Fried Rice Like a Boss
Delicious home cooking made easy
If you are worried about cooking a fried rice and think that it has to be cooked only at a restaurant, you might reconsider and start to cook at home.
To pick your own ingredients is a critical choice to create a fabulous home meal, and a great fried rice Should be wok-burnt and dry.
You can smell peppery and smoky even from the backyard!
In addition, crab meat that you pick—either in a can or fresh shell crab—should be extremely fresh.
Well, if you ever buy a take-out fried rice, you would probably understand what I try to say. So, check out at your nearest market and purchase a high-quality crab meat, also get a long-grain rice—such as jasmine rice—and cook perfectly to make the best-fried rice by balancing rice and water ratio 1:1 in a rice cooker. For new crop rice, slightly lower the water.
As you pan frying, I have a little trick to improve your skill. Over high heat, use pan flip to turn over the food while stir frying. In this technique, you will get to control not to burn it and it is practical.
The ingredient here is very simple. I prefer to have only onions and tomato to be in the fried rice so that the crab flavor can stand out. Try not to add too many kinds of vegetables. The list below what exactly I use:
- Yellow onion: peel it and washed the whole thing before you slice. make sure to dry it first. And the size can be vary depending on how much you like to eat it. If you don’t like it that much cut it very thin, so when it cooked, it will melt on the rice but still blend in the flavor.
- Grape tomato: It’s cute so I picked 😉 You can use any kind of tomatoes. wash it before cut it, ok?
- Green onion: Another onion! It works the same as yellow onion, but I use it only to make the fried rice colorful! you can choose not to have it if you’re not a big fan of onions!
- Super-fresh crab meat: I use both from a whole crab and also I bought a crab meat in a can as I cook some other dishes–I wish I have a brand to show you now :'(
- Garnish: As usual, I use cilantro, sliced cucumber, and lime widgets to fresh your mouth along with having oily fried rice.
Step 1: Cook the egg until it’s done first then add sliced yellow onion and chopped garlic
Number one mistake when I first cook a fried rice is not cooking the egg done before adding rice.
Because warm rice will absorb liquid quickly and that will make your fried rice wet, so you need to cook egg done first or not adding it.
Use unsalted butter about 2g and 1 egg,
Step 2: Now! Adding rice to the pan
After you add garlic and onion, you might get hungry already when the smell of these touching the heated pan and oil.
Add rice into the pan and use your spatula breaks chunks of rice.
so, what is the best rice to use for frying?
We need to aim at using perfectly dry(but cooked), in shape and fluffy. It may not need to be cold or warm.
When stir-frying this, make sure every seed of rice touch the bottom of the pan (sounds like a hard work?) And that’s how you’re going to make a smell of “Smokey-woky” fried rice.
Be patient! Keep working 😉
Step 3: add your crab
There is no exactly how much crab you need to put into your dish, only amount of saltiness you need to carefully balance.
You might love crab meat sooooo much and you want to put a hold can (1 lbs) per 10 oz of rice, that is ok! But, you need to less soy sauce when seasoning it.
Oh, save some crab meat for later garnishing too 😉
If you have a whole crab, wiki how will tell you everything and I learned it from them.
Step 4: Stir and Stir!
At high heat, move it, flip it, stir it as much as you can until the rice is golden brown. Now season it with thin soy sauce, seasoning sauce, sugar, then add green onion and grape tomato.
That’s it! Isn’t that easy?
You can realize now crab meat that you’ve picked has an aroma that you want to die for. If you’d chose a low-quality cheap crab meat, the result would be smelly fishy.
Crab Fried RicePrint
- 2 cups Dungeness Crab meat Shell removed
- 2 cups Long-grain rice (jasmine) cooked
- 1 cup Yellow onion sliced
- 1/2 cup Green onion chopped
- 4 pieces Grape tomatoes cut half
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 oz unsalted butteer
- 2 Tbsp Thin soy sauce Healthy Boy
- 2 Tbsp Seasoning soy sauce Golden Moutain
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 pinch white pepper powder
- 6 pieces cucumber sliced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro chopped
On high heat, add unsalted butter and egg, then scramble
Add cooked rice, sliced onion, then stir fry and break all chunks
Add crab meat, grape tomato and keep frying
Add soy sauce, seasoning sauce, sugar, green onion, and then keep frying until golden brown and smoky smell (approx. 15-20 mins)
Garnish with sliced cucumber, green onion, cilantro and extra crab meat (If you have left)
“I don’t have a full-equipped wok kitchen, but I can make one dish feel like it”